Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
This topic explains how LaunchDarkly's Jira integration allows you to link your feature flags to your team's Jira issues. When a feature flag is turned on, off, or has its targeting rules update, its associated Jira issue pages display the flag's current status.
The LaunchDarkly Jira integration is only for Jira Cloud product offerings. It does not work in Jira Data Center or Jira Server.
To complete this procedure, you must have the following prerequisites:
- The LaunchDarkly for Jira app from the Atlassian Marketplace in your Jira Cloud instance.
- An API access token with
writerpermissions. To learn more, read API access tokens.
You can also give the access token a custom role allowing it to control webhooks. In the custom role policy, Allow the Jira integration to access the
webhook/* resources with the
An example custom role configuration appears below:
Now that you've created an access token, use it to configure the Jira integration for your LaunchDarkly account.
- Navigate to your Jira instance's app management page, and click the "Configuration" button for the LaunchDarkly app.
- Set your API access token.
- Select which environment the app will track for each of your LaunchDarkly projects. By default, the app will track your production environments.
If selected environments are reconfigured after issues have already been associated with flags, the existing connections display the environments they were historically connected to until the next time that flag is updated.
New flag connections display the flag configuration for the updated environment.
After you have set up the LaunchDarkly for Jira app is set up, a "Releases" panel appears when you view issues on the "Active sprints" board.
If no flags are associated with an existing Jira issue, you can add one with a button. If you already have one or more flags associated with a Jira issue, the rollout status of each connected feature flag on each Jira issue appears.
Now that the Jira app is configured, you can connect feature flags to Jira issues.
The Jira issue view, which contains the release panel, is a per-user setting. If it is off, the release panel does not appear. To learn more, read Jira's documentation.
To create a new flag with Jira issues:
- Navigate to your Jira issue's feature flag panel.
- Click Add feature flag select the Create feature flag option. The LaunchDarkly flag creation page opens.
- In the feature flag creation page, the Jira issue is pre-populated.
If you have already created a feature flag for your Jira issue, you can add a Jira issue to your existing flag by creating a custom property for your flag.
- Navigate to the flag's Settings page.
- Name the custom property
- Enter a list of Jira issue keys as the property value. You can list multiple issues if applicable.
- Click Save Changes.
Your Jira issue must exist before you associate it with your feature flag. If you accidentally added a Jira issue to your flag, delete the custom property, create your Jira issue, and try again.