Using the ServiceNow approvals integration
Read time: 1 minute
Last edited: Sep 02, 2022
This topic explains how to use the ServiceNow approvals integration to request approvals for LaunchDarkly changes in ServiceNow.
The ServiceNow approvals integration is available to customers on an Enterprise plan. To learn more, read about our pricing. To upgrade your plan, contact Sales.
In order to complete this topic, you must meet the following prerequisites.
- You must have an existing ServiceNow account.
- You must have completed both parts of the setup for this integration. To learn more, read Setting up the ServiceNow approvals integrations.
Requesting approval for flag changes in ServiceNow
To request approval for flag changes in ServiceNow, you must request approval for the change in LaunchDarkly and then view it in ServiceNow.
To request approval in LaunchDarkly:
- In LaunchDarkly, navigate to the feature flag that you wish to change and make your needed changes to the flag targeting or status.
- Click the dropdown icon in the Review and save button.
- Select Request Approval. A dialog appears.
- Enter the description and any scheduling details, if desired.
- Click Request Approval. This creates a change request with state "New" in your ServiceNow instance.
To access the change request in ServiceNow:
- In LaunchDarkly, click the checkmark on the right side of the flag Targeting tab.
- Click View on the request, then select "Review in ServiceNow" from the expanded approval request page view.
- The approvers for feature flag changes receive a notification.
When your ServiceNow approval conditions are met and the change request has been moved into the "Implemented" state, you may apply the flag changes within LaunchDarkly by clicking the Apply Changes button in the pending changes panel. Your ServiceNow change request state changes to "Review."
If your change request changes to "Canceled," LaunchDarkly assumes the approval request has been denied. Similarly, if the approval request is deleted in LaunchDarkly, the ServiceNow change request state changes to "Canceled."