Using flag triggers with Honeycomb
Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
Triggers is only available for customers on a LaunchDarkly Enterprise plan. To enable this feature on your account, contact Sales.
This topic explains how to use LaunchDarkly's triggers feature with Honeycomb. For example, you can create an alert in Honeycomb that uses a trigger to toggle a flag on or off if a performance metric drops below a certain threshold.
To learn more about how Honeycomb uses triggers, read Honeycomb's documentation.
In order to complete this topic, you must meet the following prerequisites.
- You must have a feature flag with a trigger. To learn more about creating triggers, read Creating a new flag trigger.
- You must have access to the trigger's URL, which you copied and saved during the trigger creation process. To learn more, read Triggers.
- You must have an existing Honeycomb account.
Honeycomb uses similar nomenclature to LaunchDarkly when describing actions controlled by webhooks and third-party tools. However, a trigger in Honeycomb is not synonymous as a trigger in LaunchDarkly.
In this topic, we distinguish between the two triggers with the labels "Honeycomb trigger" and "LaunchDarkly trigger."
To connect a LaunchDarkly trigger to your Honeycomb account, you must peform two actions:
- Create an integration in Honeycomb that includes your LaunchDarkly trigger, and
- Make a Honeycomb trigger based on configuration you specify that uses the LaunchDarkly trigger to perform flag actions.
Both actions are documented below.
- Log into Honeycomb.
- Click your username, and then click Team settings.
- Click into the Integrations tab.
- In the "Trigger Recipients" section, click Add integration.
- In the "Provider" section, choose "Webhook" as the type of integration you want to configure.
- Give your webhook a human-readable Name.
- Paste the LaunchDarkly trigger URL into the Webhook URL field.
- Enter any text into the Shared secret field.
- Click Add.
Now you must associate the integration you created with a Honeycomb trigger.
- Navigate to the query you want to connect to a LaunchDarkly trigger.
- Click the three-dot overflow menu. A dropdown appears.
- Click Make Trigger.
- Give your trigger a human-readable Name.
- Make any configuration you need until you get to the "Recipients" section.
- In the "Recipients" section, click Add Recipient and choose Webhook -- [Your webhook's name] from the dropdown.
- Confirm this is what you want and click Add.
- Click Create trigger.
Now alerts in your Honeycomb account will trigger feature flags in LaunchDarkly.