Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
This topic explains how to use the LaunchDarkly Honeycomb integration. Honeycomb is an infrastructure monitoring platform that offers application performance management (APM) and automated problem remediation.
The LaunchDarkly Honeycomb integration helps you diagnose problems by sending flag events to Honeycomb. Honeycomb displays those events alongside performance graphs so you can correlate feature rollouts with changes in operational health.
Only flag action events appear in Honeycomb after you configure the integration. Other event types do not appear.
To learn more, read Feature flag actions.
To send flag change events to Honeycomb:
- Create a Honeycomb API key.
- Add the Honeycomb integration in LaunchDarkly.
- (Optional) Configure the integration's policy to allow or restrict specific projects and environments.
To use the LaunchDarkly Honeycomb integration successfully, you must meet the following prerequisites:
- You must have an API key from your Honeycomb account. To learn more, read Creating a Honeycomb API key.
The Honeycomb API key authenticates the LaunchDarkly integration so it can submit events to your Honeycomb account. The LaunchDarkly integration uses Honeycomb's Marker API.
To learn more about Honeycomb's Marker API, read Honeycomb's documentation.
When you create the API key, confirm that the key has access to create "markers". This is the only access scope the LaunchDarkly integration needs.
Here's how to add the Honeycomb integration:
- Navigate to the Integrations page and find the Honeycomb card.
- Click to expand the card, then click + Integration. The integration configuration screen appears.
- (Optional) Type a human-readable Name.
- Enter the Honeycomb dataset name you would like flag markers to be associated with.
- Paste in your Honeycomb API key.
- Click Save Honeycomb Configuration.
This is all you need to do to add the Honeycomb integration, but you can further configure the integration to alter which events LaunchDarkly sends to Honeycomb.
The "Policy" field in the integration configuration screen lets you control which LaunchDarkly events LaunchDarkly sends to Honeycomb.
The Resource specifier in the default policy value allows Production environments across all projects to send events:
To learn more, read Resources in custom roles.
You can use the policy editor to restrict the integration to:
- a specific set of LaunchDarkly projects/environments * a specific set of flags
- a specific set of actions
For example, to restrict the policy to a single project called
the policy configuration's
resource field to the following resource specifier:
The policy above makes the integration only send flag events from the
cool-app project's Production environment to Honeycomb.
If you need to restrict or allow a more complex set of resources than you can specify in a single policy, you can add multiple Honeycomb integrations and configure each one to a specific task. Each integration can have its own separate policy configuration.
To learn more about using the policy editor, read Policies in custom roles.
This video presents a demonstration of the integration. To read along, enable YouTube's closed captioning feature on the video.