Changing account owners
Read time: 1 minute
Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
This topic explains how to change which account member has the
owner role in your LaunchDarkly account, as well as what the
owner role entails.
owner is a unique role that only one account member can have. Owners have absolute power over your entire LaunchDarkly account, including the ability to give or remove
admin privileges from other account members, or to remove the
owner role from themselves and assign it to someone else.
Every LaunchDarkly account must have an
owner. By default, the person who creates your LaunchDarkly account is designated as the owner.
To learn more about member roles, read Managing your account members.
You can change account owners from the Account Settings screen.
Only the current owner can change the owner role, and only account members with verified LaunchDarkly accounts can become account owners.
If you are not the owner of your LaunchDarkly account and need to change owners, contact LaunchDarkly Support.
If you have not authenticated to LaunchDarkly within the last 10 minutes, you will be prompted to re-enter your credentials during this procedure. Make sure you have access to the account owner's login information before you start.
Follow these steps to change account owners:
- Log in to LaunchDarkly as the account
- Navigate to the Account settings screen and click into the Team tab.
- Scroll down to the "Account owner" section.
- Click your name. A dropdown list of other account members appears:
- Choose a new account member from the dropdown by clicking or searching.
- Click Update owner. A confirmation screen appears.
- Confirm that you want to update the account owner by clicking Change.
Your permissions change to
admin. The account member you chose is now the