Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
This topic explains how to create and use flag links to view external mentions of flags from other tools and services. Links to external conversations and references to your flags allow you to collaborate more easily and quickly review relevant flag information.
You can create flag links automatically using Slack, Jira, and Trello integrations. You can also create them manually using a URL to any system, tool, or site you wish.
There are four types of flag links:
Creating URL flag links
You can create URL flag links by associating an external URL with a feature flag.
To create a URL flag link:
- Find the feature flag you want to add a link to on the flags list.
- Click the flag's name. The flag's Targeting page opens.
- Click the Links tab.
- Click Add link. The "Add link to flag" screen appears:
- Enter the URL for the external resource you're linking the flag to.
- (Optional) Enter a title and description for the link.
- Click Save. The modal closes and the linked resource appears underneath the date you created the link.
Creating Slack flag links
The LaunchDarkly Slack app integration is required to use Slack flag links. To learn how to set up the integration, read Slack.
The LaunchDarkly Slack app automatically creates flag links when a flag's URL is mentioned in a public Slack channel. You can access the Slack conversation in LaunchDarkly on the flag's Links tab.
Additionally, you can manually associate a Slack conversation in a public channel with a flag using a flag link message shortcut.
To link a flag to a conversation in Slack:
- In Slack, locate the conversation you want to reference.
- Click more actions:
- Click More message shortcuts... The "Use a shortcut" screen opens.
- Enter "Create flag link" into the search field.
- Click Create flag link. The "Create flag link" screen opens.
- Select the project name and flag you would like to associate with the conversation:
- Click Create.
You can now view the Slack conversation on the flag's Links tab.
Creating Jira flag links
The LaunchDarkly Jira integration is required to use Jira issue flag links. To learn how to set up the integration, read Jira Cloud.
When you connect a feature flag to a Jira issue, LaunchDarkly automatically creates a flag link. To learn more, read Connecting an existing feature flag to a Jira issue from LaunchDarkly.
After you connect a feature flag to a Jira issue, you can navigate to the flag's Links tab to access the link.
Creating Trello flag links
The LaunchDarkly Trello integration is required to use Trello flag links. To learn how to set up the integration, read Trello.
When you attach a feature flag to a Trello card, LaunchDarkly automatically creates a flag link. To learn more, read Adding feature flags to Trello cards.
After you connect a feature flag to a Trello card, you can navigate to the flag's Links tab to access the link.
Deleting flag links
To delete a flag link, click the trash can icon next to the link: