Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Sep 02, 2022
This topic explains how to use the LaunchDarkly LogDNA integration. LogDNA is a log management and analysis tool. It allows customers to aggregate and view all server logs in a single place.
LogDNA can provide insights into a service's activity. It aggregates application logs, system logs, and more into a common platform so engineers can view all of their services' activity in a single place.
The LaunchDarkly LogDNA integration sends and aggregates LaunchDarkly audit log events in LogDNA.
With LaunchDarkly activity logs grouped in among your LogDNA service logs, you can more easily correlate feature flag rollouts with changes in logged behavior.
To configure the LogDNA integration, you must have a LogDNA ingestion key. Generate an integration key from your LogDNA organization.
Here's how to configure the LogDNA integration:
- Navigate to the Integrations page and find "LogDNA."
- Click Add integration. The "Create LogDNA configuration" panel appears.
- (Optional) Enter a human-readable Name.
- Paste in your LogDNA ingestion key.
- Specify the Log level with which LaunchDarkly messages should be posted. The default value is
- (Optional) Configure a custom Policy to control which information LaunchDarkly sends to LogDNA. To learn more, read Advanced configuration.
- Click Save Configuration.
When you configure the integration correctly, LaunchDarkly sends change data to LogDNA.
By default, this data is limited to flag activity only. You can expand it to other kinds of data, such as project and environment changes.
The "Policy" configuration field lets you control which kinds of events LaunchDarkly sends to LogDNA.
The default policy value restricts it to flag changes in production environments:
You can override the default policy to restrict exported events to:
- a specific combination of LaunchDarkly projects/environments
- a specific action (or set of actions)
- a specific kind (or kinds) of entities
For example, the example policy below restricts the integration so LaunchDarkly only sends changes from the
web-app project's production environment to LogDNA:
To learn more about setting custom policies, read Policies in custom roles.
After you configure the integration, LaunchDarkly events appear in LogDNA log statements similar to log statements from other sources. Data from LaunchDarkly is identified with the
launchdarkly source. Additionally, they are marked with
app values corresponding to the appropriate LaunchDarkly environment and project keys, respectively.
You can include LaunchDarkly events in your view by selecting the
launchdarkly source from the selector at the top of the LogDNA page. Expand any of these log statements for more details.
LaunchDarkly events also include metadata by which you can filter.
For example, to only view log statements corresponding to the
demo-flag flag, search for the query string
This video presents a demonstration of the integration. To read along, enable YouTube's closed captioning feature on the video.