Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
This topic explains how to use LaunchDarkly's Data Export feature to export and store flag, user, and Experimentation event data.
Data Export provides a real-time export of raw analytics data, including feature flag requests, analytics events, custom events, Experimentation events, and more. By exporting your data to a location of your choice, you can use your own data warehouse and tools to analyze event data.
Data Export works by sending data to one of our supported destinations. A destination is an external service which can receive and store the data.
We support the following export destinations:
To learn more about event formatting, read Schema reference.
Some Data Export destinations have different event formatting schema. If you use mParticle or Segment as your event destination, we have specific documentation for their event schema.
After you create a Data Export destination, you can send data for individual flags or for all the flags in an environment to it.
To export data from a specific flag to a destination:
- Navigate to the dashboard.
- Click the name of the flag you wish to export data from. The flag menu appears.
- Click Settings.
- Select the Send detailed event information for this flag checkbox.
- Click Save Changes:
When you export event data from an environment, LaunchDarkly exports all data from every new flag you create after you enable Data Export. It does not send event data from flags created before you enabled Data Export.
To export data from an environment to a destination:
- Navigate to the dashboard.
- Click Account settings.
- Find the environment you wish to export data from.
- Click Edit. The "Edit production environment" screen appears.
- Select the Send detailed event information for new flags checkbox.
- Click Save Environment:
You can control which users send event data to destinations by choosing a group of users affected by certain flag targeting rules. To learn more, read Controlling experiment populations.
If you can't see this feature, your SDKs may be out of date. To solve this problem:
- Update your SDKs to the latest version.
- Contact email@example.com to enable the feature.
To customize which users send event data to Data Export destinations:
- Identify which flag you wish to export events from.
- Navigate to the flag's Settings page.
- Click N of N targeting rules in the "Exporting events from" line. The "Configure event settings" screen appears:
- Click the Custom selection radio box to modify the users whose events are exported. When you click Custom selection, you can choose which targeting rules you wish to include or exclude in data exports.
- Select the checkboxes of rules you wish to include in the experiment. This refines the population of users whose events are exported:
- Click Save Changes. A confirmation dialog appears.
- Type the name or key of the environment in the text box and click Confirm.
After your application has successfully sent an event to our servers, we will send the event to your configured destinations at least once.
An event is sent to your destinations exactly once, with some exceptions. In the event of a hardware failure or networking issue, we may send events multiple times.
Additionally, if your configured destination does not acknowledge receipt of the event, we will retry sending the message five times over a 30 minute period.