The LaunchDarkly API
Read time: 2 minutes
Last edited: Jul 07, 2023
This topic explains how to authenticate to the LaunchDarkly API and access LaunchDarkly's API documentation.
Every LaunchDarkly feature begins as an API endpoint. You can use the LaunchDarkly API to perform any action that's available in the LaunchDarkly product itself.
For example, with the LaunchDarkly REST API you can perform the following:
- Create, update, and search for account members, teams, projects, environments, and feature flags
- Toggle feature flags
- Query data about contexts that have evaluated feature flags in your application
- Build custom integrations
- Export raw data to destinations outside of LaunchDarkly
The LaunchDarkly REST API is not designed to evaluate feature flags from within your application. For that, you should use the LaunchDarkly SDKs. To learn more about the differences between these offerings, read Comparing LaunchDarkly's REST API and SDK.
To access the REST API, you must have the following prerequisites:
- An API access token, which you can generate in LaunchDarkly's Account settings menu. Depending on your use case, you may prefer a personal access token or a service token. To learn more, read API access tokens.
To access the LaunchDarkly API, you have several options:
- Explore the available REST endpoints at https://apidocs.launchdarkly.com.
- Download our OpenAPI specification to use in an API-based tool, such as Postman or Insomnia.
- Visit our collection of client libraries on GitHub. We auto-generate client libraries in several common languages based on our OpenAPI specification. To learn more, read OpenAPI and client libraries.
To authenticate to the LaunchDarkly API, add an
Authorization header with your access token to your requests. While we recommend accessing the API using a request header, you can also perform API calls from the browser when you're logged in to LaunchDarkly. To learn more, read the Authentication section of the API documentation.